School of Mechanical, Materials and Mechatronic Engineering
SEMINAR Die-embedded sensors and its application to intelligent metal forming processes SPEAKER Ken-ichi Manabe WHERE BLD 3.224 DATE Friday 9th of September 2016 TIME 12:00-13:00
ABSTRACT In a recent manufacturing system, application of Internet of Things (IoT) attracts an attention rapidly. The related research and development have been progressing and advancing to digitization, and the accumulation of the various data in the manufacturing. In metal forming processes, it becomes important for the advanced manufacturing system to sense effective process information much in the manufacturing, and to promote optimization of the manufacture, etc. In this seminar, miniature sensors enable to embed into die and tool for tube hydroforming and sheet stamping processes are focused on and an example of intelligent metal forming process control system using newly developed sensors is introduced.
ABOUT THE SPEAKER Ken-ichi Manabe is Professor with the Department of Mechanical Engineering at Tokyo Metropolitan University (TMU), Japan, and Director of the Engineering Plasticity Laboratory at TMU. He has been the President of the Japan Society for Technology of Plasticity. He received B.Eng. degree from Tokyo University of Agriculture and Technology, Japan, in 1976, and M.Eng. and Ph.D. degrees from Tokyo Metropolitan University, Japan in 1978 and 1985, respectively. Prof Manabe’s research interests include (1) microforming, including superplastic dieless drawing of microtubes and micro deep drawing of sheet metals; (2) mesoscopic deformation modelling considering grain size and orientation; (3) novel processing development through intelligent forming process of sheet stamping and tube hydroforming processes; (4) forming characterization of macroscopic tubular materials and microscale materials; and (5) finite element modelling of deformation processing of sheet and tubular materials. Green composites and its modelling are different research interests.
Selected Professional Activities
· President, The Japan Society for Technology of Plasticity (2015-2016)
· Vice-President, The Japan Society for Technology of Plasticity (2011-2012)
· Chairman of Tokyo-Minamikanto Chapter of The Japan Society for Technology of Plasticity (2013)
· Board of Directors, The Japan Society for Technology of Plasticity (1996-98, 2000-2002, 2007-2009)
· Council, The Japan Society for Technology of Plasticity (1995-98) (2003-up-to-date)
· Chairman of Tokyo-Minamikanto Chapter of The Japan Society for Technology of Plasticity (2012-2013)
· Vice-Chairman of Tokyo-Minamikanto Chapter of The Japan Society for Technology of Plasticity (2009-2011)
· Council, The Japan Institute of Light Metals (1995-99)
· Board of Representatives, The Materials and Processing Division of The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (2000-02) (2005-08)
· Chairman of Tube Forming Committee, The Japan Society for Technology of Plasticity (2004-2012)
Recent Awards and Honors
· Certificate of Merit for Excellent Paper of the Conference in 2013, Materials and Processing Division of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, selected for a paper entitled "Observation of Free Surface Roughening Behavior for Metal Foils by FE Simulation Considering Material Inhomogeneity "
· Best Paper Award of the Japan Society for Technology of Plasticity Awards in 2012 selected for a paper entitled " Fabrication of Micro-Noncircular Multicore Tubes Using Superplastic Dieless Drawing Process"
· JSTP Medal of the Japan Society for Technology of Plasticity Awards in 2010 selected for the research achievements on “Tube/sheet Metal Forming and Their Process Intellectualization”
· The grade of “Fellow“ at the Japan Society for Technology of Plasticity certificated in 2009
Prof. Ken-ichi Manabe
Department of Mechanical Engineering,
Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Tokyo Metropolitan University,
1-1, Minami-ohsawa, Hachioji-shi, Tokyo 192-0397, Japan
Phone: +81-42-677-2712 FAX: +81-42-677-2701
You are all welcome to join Prof. Manabe for lunch which will be held in 8.114 from 13:00. ?
Eis_academics mailing list Eis_academics@mailman.uow.edu.au http://mailinglists.uow.edu.au/mailman/listinfo/eis_academics