- BEng in Mining Engineering, Liaoning Technical University, China (1986)
- MSc, The University of Nottingham, UK (1988)
- PhD in Mining Engineering, The University of Nottingham, UK (1992)
- Underground Mining Methods
- Green Mining Process
- Coal Mine Safety
- Coal Mine Gas/Coal Seam Gas/CBM
- Gas Drainage and Degasification
- Gas Transport in Porous Strata
- Mine Fire Control and Inertisation
- Spontaneous Combustion of Coal
- Mine Dust Control and Mitigation
- Computer Modelling and Simulation
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) in Mining Applications
+61 2 4221 4186
Associate Professor Ting Ren is a Mining Engineer and Research Scientist with over 25 years working and research experience in coal mining and safety. His key areas of expertise include fugitive dust control, coal mine gas management, gas drainage, coal mine fire (SPONCOM) prevention and inertisation as well as computational (CFD) modelling and simulations. Ting currently leads a research team of 8 HDR students, three Research Fellows and four visiting fellows/professors. Ting also serves as the Co-Director, Centre of Infrastructure Protection and Mine Safety.
Ting joined the University of Wollongong in October 2009 and has since then made great contributions to the development and expansion of mining research programs, particularly in areas of mining health and safety. He has been instrumental in industry-driven research projects to address real operational issues and has been successful in attracting significant funding from Industry and ACARP.
Previously Ting worked for over six (6) years as a Senior Research Engineer and Project Leader with the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO). Ting led and worked on a range of projects supported by ACARP, Mining companies, Australian Government (AGO), US EPA, Asia-Pacific Partnership (APP), and projects funded by companies in South Africa, China, India and New Zealand. Ting also worked as a Senior Research Fellow at the University of Nottingham, where he led and worked on a range of projects supported by European Union (ECSC), UK research councils (EPSRC) and industry.
Ting is a Chartered Engineer (CEng) registered with the UK Engineering Council and a member of the Institute of Materials, Minerals and Mining, Member of the Australasian Institute of Mining and Metallurgy (MAusIMM), a Adjunct Professor of China University of Mining & Technology, Liaoning Technical University and Henan Polytechnic University, China. Ting is the co-editor for the International Journal of Mining Science and Technology.
He was the recipient of the BMA’s (BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance) Health & Safety Award 2009 and CSIRO’s Partnership Excellence Award 2006, and the 2012 Australian Bulk Handling Review Award for his outstanding industry work on dust control.
- UOW Researcher Profile
- Co-editor International Journal of Mining Science and Technology Editorial Board
- Green Mining conference program
- Dust Suppression Award presented to Tecpro and UOW at Australian bulk handling awards
- Conference to discuss opportunities for Green Mining
- Tecpro and UOW win at Australian Bulk Handling Awards
- Green mining symposium brings together some of the top minds
- Green mining brings top minds together
- UOW to host green mining event